VEGETABLE PAD THAI RECIPE
From: Healthy Cooking
Classic flavors of Thailand abound in this fragrant and flavorful dish featuring peanuts, tofu and noodles. New to tofu? It beefs up protein in this satisfying entree, for a delicious way to introduce it to your diet.
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat fettuccine
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or additional reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Dash Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 package (12 ounces) extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 cups fresh snow peas, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and hot sauce until smooth; set aside.
In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry tofu in 2 teaspoons oil until golden brown. Remove and keep warm. Stir-fry carrots and snow peas in remaining oil for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add eggs; cook and stir until set.
Drain pasta; add to vegetable mixture. Stir vinegar mixture and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Add tofu, bean sprouts and onions; heat through. Sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts. Yield: