Vietnamese Banh Xeo (Sizzling Saigon Crepes) with Nuoc Cham Sauce
from Asian Inspirations
Delicious and filling these Banh Xeo crepes are what you need on a weekend for lunch. You can also try a vegetarian filling sans the pork and shrimp.
2½ cups rice flour
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp salt
1¾ cup water
1 cup canned coconut milk
3 spring onions (thinly sliced at extreme angles, about 1cm thick)
1 cup lard or vegetable oil
100g pork shoulder (cut into thin slices)
100g small shrimp (peeled, deveined and sliced in halves lengthwise)
¼ tsp salt
½ cup sliced yellow onions (about 3mm thick)
2 to 3 medium long red chilies (sliced thinly into rings, about 3mm thick)
1 cup sliced mushrooms (cut into 3mm slices)
2 cups bean sprouts (trimmed preferred)
Nuoc Cham Sauce
¼ cup sugar
½ cup warm water
2½ tbsp lime juice
¼ cup fish sauce
2 bird’s eye chillies (cut into very fine rings)
1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- Finely mix the rice flour, turmeric powder and salt. Add water and coconut milk and whisk well until the ingredient is smooth. Sieve through to ensure no lumps inside the mixture. Rest the batter for 30 mins.
- Use a large fry pan or non-stick saute pan, heat up with high heat. Add 1 tbsp lard/oil and then add one portion of pork, shrimp, onions, scallions, and mushrooms (and salt to taste) to stir fry until the pork and shrimp are half done.
- Add in ½ cup of batter into pan, swirl pan to coat bottom evenly. Add bean sprouts over one half of the crepe.
- Drizzle in 1 more tbsp of lard/oil around the edge of crepe and lower heat to medium.
- Cover pan and cook for 1 min. Remove cover and continue to cook until edges begin to brown.
- Loosen crepe from bottom of pan with a soft silicon spatula (hard spatula would break the crepe). When bottom turns light brown and crispy, fold crepe to encase bean sprouts.
Nuoc Cham Sauce Preparation Steps:
- Add fish sauce, water, sugar and lime juice into a small bowl and mix well until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add garlic and chilies and stir, serve as tableside condiment.
Roll pieces of cooked Banh Xeo in a lettuce leaf, dip in Nuoc Cham sauce and eat immediately.